Friday, February 11, 2011

Fleece Baby Blankets with Crocheted Edge

      This is one my favorite crochet projects of 2010, it's quick, easy, inexpensive, versatile, and very rewarding.This is much faster than crocheting an entire afghan. These blankets can be made with only very simple stitches such as: a chain stitch and single crochet, or can be made with more complicated stitches such as: double crochet, half double crochet, triple crochet, ect., all depending on which edge you chose to put on. I have found that I can get 2 blankets out of 24-36in of fleece, you can find this as a remnant at your local Joann's or fabric store. Joann's puts fleece on sale frequently, but regularly it costs about 7.99-13.99per yard. Because many fabric stores have lots of variety it's easy to find cute baby boy or girl fleece. Also you can easily alter you pattern from a straight edge to a scallop to a picot to your heart desire. Though no matter what you do it will look adorable. :)
To start your blanket you need to cut your fleece to size, cut slits. I do my slits about 3/4in away from the edge. The first blanket I did, I used a Crop-o-dile (which is a heavy duty hand punch.) Unfortunately I punched my holes too close together and too close to the edge so when I start to crochet the fabric stretched and tore. I had to start over by cutting off the edge and repunching. This method is tedious and uneven. If however you still want hand punch all the way around your blanket you should punch at least 3/4" away from the edge and punch your holes at least 3/4" apart. So not long after I obtained an "Original Skip-Stitch® Blade" which can be purchased at http://www.skipstitch.com/products--orders.html


Hook G or H
Rnd 1
Insert your hook into a hole (make sure the right side is facing you) (sc 1, ch 1,) in each hole make sure you don't miss any. (Note: the edge of your fleece should fold back so that the bases of your single crochets are a little more 1/4")  On the corners (sc 1, ch 1) 3 times in the corner hole, (you may want to round the corner of the fleece with a pair of scissors.) When you reach your first st, sl st in it.

Rnd 2+
This is totally up to you. :)
The flowered blanket above has a rnd of dcs (with 3 dcs in the corner) and a rnd like this (sk 1, dc 5, sk 1,   sl st 1,)
Rnd 2
For this one it's just double crochet (with 3 dcs in the corners) and the sl st in 1st dc
Multiple colors is another fun option 
Rnd 2
Dc all the way around (with 3 dcs in the corners) Sl st in 1st dc
Rnd 3
Switch to red yarn, dc all the way around (with 3 dcs in the corners) Sl st in 1st dc
Rnd 4
(Sc, sl st, ch 5, sl st in the same st) all the way around, sl st in 1st sc
Aren't the little firemen cute. :)
Another option is "Dolly and Me" blankets
Here is the mini scallop for the doll blanket
Rnd 2
Sc all the way around, (sc 3 in the corners) sl st in 1st sc
Rnd 3
[Ch 2, (dc 1, hdc 1) in the next st, sl st] all the way around,
This is the same as the Flower blanket above.
 Have fun creating you own edge designs too! I would love to see them. :)

20 comments:

  1. Just pinned this, I've been meaning to make one since I saw yours forever ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you happen to offer a PDF version of your instructions? I love this idea and want to make some to donate this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a PDF version of this pattern yet, but I have been meaning to add printable PDFs to all my pattern posts. So I will try and get that to you soon.

      Delete
  3. You can also buy cheep fleece baby blankets (or adult size) at a lot of dollar stores. If you get the ones that have a blanket stitch around, it already has the holes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great idea! I will have to try that sometime. Also another way to get fleece cheaper at Joann's is to wait until it goes on sale (generally several times in the winter)and get like 3o%-70% off and then look in the remnant section and get another 50%-75% off of the already discounted price.This is usually what I do to stock up and add to my stash.

      Delete
  4. The website is inactive for the blades used to make the cuts. Here is the new website in case anyone wants one. http://www.skipstitch.com/products--orders.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, I just fixed it:)

      Delete
  5. I'm thinking of trying this for the first time and wondered if you could answer a couple of questions. I don't sew or own a sewing machine, so was there any sewing necessary around the edge of the fleece before you began the crochet edging? Also, for the blade you recommended for creating holes, do you suggest Blade #1, #2 or #3 given your experience using them? Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you have been inspired! There is no machine sewing involved when using fleece. If you use a fabric material that frays or sheds on the edge you may want to serge/sew the edge first, though I haven't used such material. I only have the Blade #1 so I couldn't compare them, though Blade #1 works excellent with (blizzard or anti-pill) fleece. I hope this helps! I would love to see what you come up with if you would like to share!

      Delete
  6. What weight of yarn do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I use worsted weight, though I have also used slightly lighter weights and some bulky boucle yarn. The ones here are all done with worsted weight. For the the lighter weight yarns I usually keep the same hook size, but for the bulky boucle yarn I like to use either a J or a K size. Sometimes the larger hooks can be a little more difficult to move through the fabric, but using an inline crochet hook helps.

      Delete
  7. what are your thoughts on using this method to not only create a beautiful edge but attach 2 fleece blankets together? I love the thickness of tie blankets but hate the ties.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To date I have not tried crocheting two pieces of fleece together by stacking them on top of one another. I think it would work great, however I would consider using two strands worsted weight of yarn.

      Delete
    2. I have often placed two same size, approx 2 1/2 yds each, coordinating fleece panels right sides together and sewn around them as I would a quilt, leaving a space for turning out.
      Turn right side out. Close up opening. I stitch a top seam around edge. And sew a few places upon the blanket top (usually i sew/outline a random flower or design on the fleece) to "quilt" -- keeping the two layers flush, you know what I mean, right?
      Hope this helps.

      Delete
  8. Does the blanket look nice even when you use just one piece of fleece. Our group is making some fleece lovey blankets for charity purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The majority that I have made have also been for charity, and all the ones I have made have been with a single thinkness of fleece. While I am crocheting around, I do let the edge naturally fold back on itself so under my stitches there are actually two thicknesses of fleece and makes a nice finished edge. But you shouldn't have to worry about this since it happens naturally and I think it is far more difficult to prevent than to embrace.

      Delete
  9. Does using only one piece of fleece with the crochet border look nice.(one right side and the back side right.) We are a knit & crochet group and are making lovey blankets to donate for little ones. And we would like to try the fleece lovey blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What happens to the yarn when the fleece blanket is washed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It holds up well in my experience, though definately make sure that you are using a yarn that is suited to the project. E.g. simalar care instructions to the fleece you are using, and more than likely acrylic.

      Delete